In the midst of all this nonsense I’ve got going on, George and I went to go see Iron Man. We also had a few beers that night, which I desperately needed after the past week.
To be perfectly honest, I can’t seem to generate much to complain about this movie. Could be the fact that I just can’t muster the energy to analyze this thing at the moment. Perhaps it’s just that the movie was good and it’s always easier to write negative reviews. Actually, I’m sure its due my current lack of writing mojo.
But, since I’m trying to write something about every movie I see in a theater this year, I gotta get at least a little something down. As always, there may be a few spoilers involved here, so be aware. If you wanna go into the movie “clean” don’t read further. (Maybe that’s just something I do, I’m not sure).
- Robert Downey Jr. is a terrific actor. I always enjoy his work and especially enjoy the character he played here. It’s that arrogant, smarter-than-you, sarcastic, guy I like to watch.
- There was some good comic relief in this flick. It didn’t take itself too seriously
- Special effects were well done… not too over the top like say Transformers
- Jeff Bridges, a.k.a “The Dude” as the bad guy. I’m sorry, he’ll be “The Dude” forever to me. Also, isn’t it always easy to spot the bad guy who has the beard and shaved head?
- I hate Gweneth Paltrow. I just do. Can’t stand her.
- There were some parts of this movie that were anything but believable, but it was a comic book flick, so I guess that goes with the territory. Maybe why I don’t read comic books.Â For example, he builds his new fancy-schmancy suit in a few weeks, along with all the ‘support robots’ and what not, alone, in his shop in a couple weeks.Â Granted, the guy is a genius, but come on…
- When Stark builds his first Iron Man suit in Afghanistan, I really really wish they would have used Black Sabbath’s song “Iron Man”. As it was, they only used it for the end credits, and that seemed like a waste.
- Speaking of his first suit, it was just regular old iron… with big eyeholes cut in the helmet. The 30 odd terrorists firing at him with automatic rifles when he escapes them and you mean to tell me that not a single bullet found its way through those big holes? Really?
All in all, it was a good movie. I’d give it 7 of 10.
Next up is gotta be Indiana Jones. Hope it’s good!